what type of pineapple plant is this? - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Worth, Fl
Question by trotter2
November 21, 2010
I recently bought from Home Depot a varigated pineapple plant. It was labeled ananas cosmosus. this var. is Not varigated. How can I be sure I have the edible varigated variety and not the Inedible variety known as ananas variegatus. Is there some way to identify by the leaves?Btw I was told it was the edible variety when I bought it but that means nothing. Ive not found anything on the net.

November 21, 2010

0

Ananas comosus variegatus is also called Ivory Pineapple. It has green leaves with solid white margins. The leaves may be tinged with pink and the fruit it develops will have pink-toned leaves. It is purely decorative - the fruit will taste bitter.

To my knowledge there is no edible pineapple plant with variegated leaves. Your pineapple plant can be identified by the foliage but you may need to do an extensive web search.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"