Garden covered with weeds - Knowledgebase Question

Newberg, Or
Question by mcjafra
November 21, 2010
My huge vegetable garden is covered with tender new weeds that were not there all summer. What can I do? I've heard of cover crops but don't know how to go about it since soil is wet.

November 21, 2010

0

Established cover crops will crowd out weeds but it's a little too late in the season to get a cover crop growing. Instead, I'd hoe down the weeds, rake them out of the garden, then spread a 3-4 inch layer of organic matter over the top of the veggie bed. The mulch will keep new weeds from sprouting and in the spring, prior to planting your garden, you can dig or rototill the organic matter into the bed. The organic matter will loosen the soil, help it hold moisture, and will provide some nutrients to your plants as it decomposes. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"