Perinnial tubers - Knowledgebase Question

Amherst, Ma
Question by Tccoleman
November 22, 2010
A gardener recently moved out of her building. She said I could move her perennials to my side. My question: Do I dig the tubers up now and transplant them on my side or should I dig them up and store them, and plant them in the spring? Don't know what kind of flowers they are but the tubers are heavy and solid. Kind of elongated. They are not glads, but have glad type leaves I live in W. MASS

November 22, 2010

0

If they have long narrow leaves I'll bet they are irises and if so, they grow from rhizomes. Rhizomes are long and thin and sometimes have knobs or bumps on them. You can replant rhizomes immediately after digging them up. Plant them just barely below the soil surface, water them in well and then spread a few inches of organic mulch over the bed. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"