Bulbs and fruit in the refrigerator - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
November 23, 2010
I have read that when one puts bulbs in the refrigerator for a cooling period, fruit should not be stored in there as well as it kills the flower in the bulb. What if one puts the bulbs in bags and puts them in one of the refrigerator storage drawers and keeps it closed? Can there be fruit in another part of the refrigerator or should it be absolutely NO fruit in any part of the refrigerator?

November 23, 2010

0

The caution not to store bulbs with ripening fruit is true. Ethylene gas given off by the ripening fruit can damage the bulbs. In general, apples are the culprits so simply store your apples somewhere other than your refrigerator while you have bulbs in there. You can store you bulbs in paper bags in a crisper drawer. Don't put anything else in that drawer. While some ethylene gas from fruit stored in the refrigerator will circulate throughout the refrigerator, I don't think there will be enough to harm the bulbs. I've stored bulbs in the refrigerator many times and have never had a problem. Just remember to keep apples out of the 'fridge while you're storing your bulbs.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"