Bloom time for amaryllis - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburg, Ca
Question by chasolis
November 23, 2010
I've had no problems with my amaryllis except that they don't bloom in winter but sometime around March!! My single amaryllis bulb which was a gift to me some 20 years ago has 'gifted' me with two more bulbs and they all bloom at the same time... big gorgeous flowers. But, as I said, not in winter but around spring. Any ideas why that is? Also, when is the right time to 'harvest' lemons?

November 23, 2010

0

Sounds like your amaryllis is confused! Here are some general guidelines for coaxing the bulbs to bloom at the right time of year: Amaryllis bulbs grow best in bright light at temperatures of 60 to 70F. Place bulbs in soil so that the top half of the bulb is exposed. The flower stalk will emerge first, followed by two or more leaves. After flowering, cut off the stalk but allow the leaves to remain. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. In the spring place the pot outdoors in a shady place. In late summer, when the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, bring the plant indoors, and allow it to rest in a cool, dry place for about three months. Around the first of December, repot the bulb in fresh soil and place it in a bright room. Begin watering again and a new flower stalk and new leaves will emerge from the bulbs, beginning the process anew. Hope this information helps you keep your Amaryllis blooming for many years!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"