Gardenias - Knowledgebase Question

Sarasota, Fl
Question by maggieratiga
November 27, 2010
I purchased a Gardenia tree and repotted it on my lania. It had alot of buds and most are still there, however they are not opening. 3 have dropped off. How do I get it to bloom?

November 27, 2010

0

I know it's disappointing! For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature within these ranges is required or buds will drop. Simply moving the plant can cause buds to drop, as can any imbalance in the growing conditions. Keep the soil evenly moist (but not sopping wet) at all times except in winter when watering should be reduced slightly to compensate for the seasonally slower growth. Fertilize regularly but lightly during active growth periods (spring and summer) with a water soluble fertilizer for acid loving plants, according to the label instructions. Check the label also to make sure it includes micronutrients or "minors" to assure a broad based supply of minerals. There's not much else you can do to ensure the flower buds will open. As soon as your plant acclimates to its new growing spot and the temperature range is right, it will open those fragrant flower buds. Hope it's soon!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"