My dieffenbachia has yellow leaves, - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by mfeldstein
November 27, 2010
I used to order once a week. Now I only water once every other week. But the yellow leaves still come. Any suggestions? Thanks.

November 27, 2010

0

Yellow leaves are caused by many things, including water stress, improper light, need for nutrition, drafts, etc. If you have your Dieffenbachias more than 6 feet away from a south-facing windows, there might not be quite enough light; if is right in front of a window, the direct sun may be too much for it. Keep the light as bright as possible while still protecting your plant from direct sunshine. If your plant is in a small pot (6" or less), then water it thoroughly whenever the top inch of soil is dry to the touch. For larger plants, allow the top quarter of the soil to dry out between waterings. How frequently you'll need to water will depend upon the amount of light, temperature, pot size, age of plant, and humidity. It is quite normal for your plant to lose some older, lower leaves. In time, almost all Dieffenbachias become tall and leggy. The solution is to prune them back as needed. As long as you see new growth at the top of the plant, it is healthy. If the newest leaves are yellowing, double check the light, water, fertilizer needs and make sure your plant is not sitting in a draft or receiving direct heat from a fireplace, wood stove or heater vent. Hope this information helps you determine just what is going on with your plant!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"