More In-depth on Peonies (Link: http://gallery.me.com/jadigidy#100102) - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
November 29, 2010
I have dug up these peonies which were starting to shoot new shoots and potted them in my garage for the winter. a. Should I mist these once a month to keep them from drying out? b. Should peonies like this stay in my garage where it is cold or to my crawl space where the temp will be roughly house temp (minus 10 degrees or so)? Thanks

November 29, 2010

0

Usually frost will kill back the tops of the peonies and at that time the old, dead foliage can be pruned and you can dig and store the roots in a cool but above freezing place. I think you dug yours a little too soon this year. When peonies experience a frost it signals them to go into dormancy and you won't see any new sprouts until the following spring if they are stored in a cool, dark place. At this point I'd keep them in the garage, in dry potting soil or peat moss. If you set the pots in a paper bag, the bag will help keep them from drying out completely, You won't have to mist the bulbs unless they appear to be drying out and shriveling up. If they no longer look plump you can mist the potting soil or peat moss to provide a little moisture. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"