weeping mulberry - Knowledgebase Question

Rockwall, Te
Question by pilots
November 29, 2010
My weeping mulberry is about 20 years old and is beautiful but has gotten overgrown with branches on top of branches, how do I prune them so they remain the umbrella they are supposed to be?

November 29, 2010

0

Remedial pruning is best done in the winter months when the tree is dormant. Once all the leaves have fallen you'll be able to see the branch structure and will be able to make the right pruning cuts to bring your tree back into shape. Begin by removing excess growth - anything crossing or rubbing. Then thin out the branches, removing any that are piggybacking on the main weeping branches. Make clean cuts (don't leave stubs). I find it best to remove some of the branches then take a break for a day or two so I can study the branch structure of the tree. I then can go back and remove other branches that I think detract from the appearance of the tree. You can always remove more branches at a later time but you cannot replace branches you've pruned off. So, slow and easy is the best approach - at least in my experience!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"