rooting - Knowledgebase Question

seminole, Fl
Question by swboobala
November 30, 2010
Can a Bougainvillea be routed so that another plant can be started? And if so, should it be placed directly in the ground, pot with dirt, or water till roots start? I have beautiful big plant and want to root some more for a neighbor and myself. Please advise and thank you so much

November 30, 2010

0

Nearly any flowering perennials and most ornamental shrubs can be propagated through stem cuttings. Use 6-8" long stems from the current season's growth, strip the lower leaves, dip the cut ends in rooting hormone and set the cuttings in a tray or nursery container filled with moistened potting soil. Keep the tray or container in a shady spot outdoors and keep the potting soil moist. Cuttings should develop roots within a month. When you see new top growth, you'll know your cuttings have rooted. You can pot them up individually and let them grow larger and stronger before eventually planting them in the ground. Not all cuttings are successful, but most are so try a variety of plants. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"