why am I not getting any lemons on my improved meyers lemon tree? - Knowledgebase Question

New Orleans, Lo
Question by k66183
November 30, 2010
I purchased a lemon tree at the beginning of this summer and it contained a few tiny lemons (about the size of a green pea).
After a few weeks, they disappeared. I haven't seen any more since. What is the problem?

November 30, 2010

0

What you describe sounds perfectly normal for a Meyer Lemon tree. First, they often set more fruit than they can support, so they drop the baby lemons. This happens several times a year so don't let it surprise you. Second - your tree is probably simply adjusting to living at your house where light, temperature and humidity levels are probably different than the tree was accustomed to when it was growing in a nursery. This adjustment period will eventually end; your tree will adjust and begin performing as it should. Lemons take months to mature and even after they turn yellow they can stay on the tree for several months, so don't be in a hurry to harvest your lemons. One final suggestion - citrus trees like moist but not soggy soil. When you water, water thoroughly, then allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. You'll know your tree has adjusted when it begins putting out new growth and producing new flower buds. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"