what to do?? - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Burnie, Ma
Question by mymistye
December 1, 2010
Iwant to plant Hyacinth and some Angelique&Freeman
blulbs.The ground hasn't frozen so I need to hurry!
As I read the planting labels for the Hyacinth and tulips the guide says not to plant in the same bed every yr. unless the phlevel is kept balanced with bonemeal,lime,or fertilizer?? Is this true?? and can egg shell be used instead of bonemeal? I'm confused??

December 1, 2010

0

Hmmm... I've grown bulbs in the same spots for years and although I placed a small handful of bonemeal in each planting hole when I originally planted the bulbs, other than a topdressing of compost each year, I've never done anything else. The bulbs are flourishing! I think soil preparation prior to the first planting is important but once the bulbs are planted, you shouldn't have to check the soil pH and amend the soil each year. I wouldn't use egg shells in place of bonemeal. Bonemeal is inexpensive and a little goes a long way. All you need is an ounce or two in each planting hole before you set your bulbs in the holes. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"