mold on houseplant soil - Knowledgebase Question

Griswold, Co
Question by spookylilgho
December 6, 2010
I recently repotted my Christmas Cactus. Now I see mold on the soil surface. How do get rid of it? and prevent it from coming back?

December 6, 2010

0

Mold often grows on soil surfaces if the soil remains overly wet. Christmas cactus like soil on the dry side, so watering less frequently should make your plant happy and help keep mold from forming. Check to make sure that what you're scraping off is actually mold and not a mineral build-up. If you have a magnifying glass, look to see if the white matter is fluffy or if it looks more like hard crystals. Fluffy is mold and should be scraped away. Mineral build up is hard and granular, and it can be leached away with copious amounts of water. Once you've determined the cause of the problem you can take action to keep it from recurring.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"