Orange Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Christy Estrada
Casa Grande, Ar
Question by cecasagrande
December 7, 2010
I have an orange and lemon tree which are both about 5 years old. The orange has never produced fruit, and is very sickly looking. It is sparse with yellowish leaves. They are fertilized and watered the same, and the lemon is spectacular. Anything I can do?

December 7, 2010

0

Although your citrus trees receive the same care it's possible that the soil is slightly different and the orange tree is sitting directly over caliche. This layer of clay can drain poorly which can suffocate the roots. With a small root system, your tree can look sickly. I've been known to push a metal rod down into the soil under the dripline of my citrus trees to help the soil drain a little faster. I use rebar and push it down 2-3 feet into the soil in a checkerboard pattern, about every 12 to 18 inches apart beneath the tree. You might also try applying some Ironite in amounts as listed on the package (which vary according to tree size). Hope these hints are helpful!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"