Woodpeckers - Knowledgebase Question

Prairie Village, Ka
Question by blackbird1
December 9, 2010
Not sure if this falls under your 'jurisdiction', but I am having a horrible time with those ###[email protected]@@ birds putting holes in my outside trim and wooden shingles. Any suggestions to eliminating them & fixing the holes? Some are 2

December 9, 2010

0

Woodpeckers can be a terrible nuisance. They peck in search of insects but the males also peck to attract the attention of females. I've had a similar problem with them going to peak of the roof an pecking holes in the sides. You can deter a woodpecker if you train a strong stream of water on them. I just point the hose and psray. If you do it often enough you'll discourage them from returning. About the only way to repair the damage is to replace the wood but I've also tacked up hardware cloth to keep them from further damaging an already damaged shingle or piece of siding. They are not easy to scare with shiny ribbon or pie plates but you might try hanging a few from the eave where they are actively returning. Wish I had a better solution for you!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"