pieris - Knowledgebase Question

ST. PETERS, Mi
Question by jstreet766
December 14, 2010
flowering evergreen is huge and in container...it is very frigid here(zone 5)was outside wrapped with big blanket...brought inside...can it stay in the house till warmerweather or should i put in garage?

December 14, 2010

0

Pieris is rated hardy in USDA zone 5 but I'm concerned about the roots since it is still in a container. If you can insulate the container, either by sinking it into the ground next to the foundation of your home, or wrapping it with insulating material, the plant should be fine outdoors. It won't be happy indoors and since it is an evergreen, it won't be happy in your garage, either. The leaves need sunlight in order to remain healthy. I'd dig a hole in the garden or in a bed near your house or garage (for protection from wind) and set the pot in the hole. It should survive the winter without problem.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"