Scion Woood - Knowledgebase Question

Frisco, Te
Question by Z1nowar
December 14, 2010
Hi, I am getting scion wood from a couple of fruit trees soon, and how can I go about rooting them? The mother tree bears very good fruit, so will the scion wood bear fruit as well? Lastly, I do not want to graft it, just root it.

December 14, 2010

0

You can root hardwood or semi-hardwood cuttings in the late winter/early spring by simply planting them in a container of moistened potting soil and covering over the top of the pot with a tent of plastic wrap (to act like a little greenhouse, keeping the cuttings and growing media from drying out). Remove the tent every week to allow fresh air to enter and to check the soil's moisture level - add water if the soil begins to dry out. When the cuttings are rooted you'll see new growth appear. As soon as you do, remove the plastic to expose the cuttings to fresh air. It can take several months for roots to form. After new growth appears, continue to water as necessary. By mid-summer each cutting should have adequate roots and can be planted in the landscape.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"