Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by pareshthacke
December 16, 2010
My lawn has St. Augustine grass, was full of weeds in spring 2010. I applied Kentucky Blue Grass seeds on bare spots, still some spots are without grass. During winter months How frequently I should water lawn; when to apply fertilizers

December 16, 2010

0

Think of December as a continuation of your lawn care duties from the previous month. Continue mowing your lawn on a regular basis if it needs it. If you have a mulching mower use it clean up any buildup of leaves that your trees have - you'll be able to use the leaf shreddings as organic compost for your lawn. Before you mow your lawn next time, raise the deck height of your mower to a height of at least three inches. The rule is: two inches for warm season grasses and about three to four inches for cool-season grasses. If rainfall equals less than an inch a week, water your lawn. Hold off on fertilizers until spring growth begins. Start by overseeding the bare areas, then wait until you've mowed the lawn 2-3 times to allow the new grass to develop a healthy root system. After you've mowed 2-3 times you can feed and apply a weed killer. Use a product such as Scotts Turfbuilder Plus Halts. It will feed your lawn plus in contains a pre-emergent herbicide which will help keep weed seeds from sprouting. Hope this answers all your questions. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"