Lime - Knowledgebase Question

dunbar, We
Question by moheat
December 16, 2010
I was wanting to know when should you use Lime on your garden? My soil has seemed, to of lost a lot of it's nutrient's and I had heard that if you use lime it would help. When do you use and do you have to till the soil first.

December 16, 2010

0

Soil can become acidic in areas where rainfall is high and an application of lime can help raise the soil's pH, which can make nutrients more available to the roots of your plants. Lime is generally applied in the fall months because it takes a while for it to move down into the soil and work its magic. I'd suggest you have your soil tested before applying lime. If your soil is neutral (7.0) or above, lime can cause plant damage. If you think your soil lacks nutrients, why not simply work some compost into your planting beds rather than applying lime? Compost will improve the texture of the soil, bulking it up so it can drain well. The compost will help the soil retain just the right amount of moisture and as it decomposes it will release nutrients to the roots of your plants. Simply spread 3-4 inches of compost over the top of the soil and dig it in to a depth of about 8 inches. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"