Waterlogged Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Groton, Co
Question by mattrembish
December 18, 2010
Unless it is the middle of summer, if we get a fair amount of rain, my lawn is terribily waterlogged. My feet will sink into the lawn. In the spring I was thinking about aerating and top dressing with sand, and doing this for a few years. Will this work, any other suggestions? How much sand per acer? Can I overseed during the aearating process since I am using sand?
Im in CT
Thanks, Matt

December 18, 2010

0

Drainage sounds like a real issue with your lawn so start with aerating to see if that helps. If not, you may want to consider installing a trench or French drain to give excess water a place to go. Trench type drains are simply trenches filled with gravel; French drains are trenches lined with gravel into which you place a perforated pipe then fill with gravel. If you'd like to try aerating first, you'll need barely a half inch of sand to spread over your entire lawn if you use a core aerator which removes one inch wide by three inch deep plugs. We recommend you leave the plugs on the lawn - they will dissolve and the soil will work its way into the holes (along with the half inch of sand that you spread over the lawn right after aerating). You can overseed immediately after the plugs dissolve after aerating. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"