fig tree - Knowledgebase Question

port saint lucie, Fl
Question by golfmike3032
December 22, 2010
I planted a fig tree in the yard it is 2 yr's old about 4'.0

December 22, 2010

0

Things don't sound too good for your fig tree! It isn't likely the tree will produce new roots if the root system is rotting, but you might be able to take a cutting from a healthy branch and root it to make a new fig tree. I think it's worth a try. You'll need a healthy branch, not one that's shriveled or dead. Take a 6-8 inch cutting, including the growing tip of the branch. Dip the cut end in rooting hormone and place the cutting in a container of moistened potting soil. Bury the end of the cutting 2-3 inches into the potting soil. You can take several cuttings and set them about an inch apart in the same container. With any luck at all at least some of the cuttings will root and you'll have a new fig tree or two. Before planting your rooted cuttings in the ground you'll want to amend the soil with compost or other organic matter to ensure the soil drains well. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"