Banana trees - Knowledgebase Question

Jupiter, Fl
Question by scalosians
December 23, 2010
My banana trees really took a hit in the cold nights recently. The leaves are all brown. Will it revive by itself now that it's warmer and sunny, or can I do something to help? No bananas yet, by the way. It's been in the ground for a year and no fruit. How can I get it to fruit?

December 23, 2010

0

The brown, frost bitten leaves will die and you'll have to prune away the damaged parts of your banana plants. I'd wait until the threat of cold weather is gone before pruning the plants, though. There's still a chance of frosty weather. When the weather begins to warm up, prune off the damaged leaves and/or damaged stalk. You can safely cut your banana plants down to ground level if necessary. A new stalk will grow as long as the root system is still healthy. Bananas will form when the stalk is about 15 months old. Since you may have to start over by cutting the original stalk down to ground level, you probably won't have bananas for 15 months. If you only have to shorten the current stalk to remove the frost damaged plant parts, you may get bananas a little earlier. Good luck with your banana plants!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"