Alabama Peach fungus - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, Al
Question by marcycook200
December 27, 2010
I know that my peach trees have some type of black fungus that prevents me from eating them. Being it's almost spring what can I use to prevent this on the next peaches?

December 27, 2010

0

The most common diseases you'll find with peach trees include leaf curl, peach scab, and brown rot of the fruit. Since your tree has a history of developing disease problems, preventative sprays of Bordeaux (lime-sulfur)should help. This fungicide must be applied early and thoroughly to protect new growth. You'll find it in the fruit tree spray section of your garden center. Apply when the buds on the branches begin to swell and apply according to label directions. Repeat applications will be necessary; as the buds break until the leaves are fully expanded. Do this at prepink, pink, calyx, and first cover. Since the fungus overwinters in fallen leaves and fruit, be sure to thoroughly clean up and dispose of plant debris in the fall months. I hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"