palm plant - Knowledgebase Question

Kensington, Ma
Question by annkavi
December 29, 2010
Hi,
I bought a beautiful palm plant last year. But unfortunately since it's gotten cooler and somewhat darker in house, it has been having stems that turn brown and die off. What can I do to try and save this plant? Thank you.

December 29, 2010

0

It's normal for the oldest, lowest fronds to eventually die off. Generally they turn yellow and then brown. When they are completely brown you can prune them off your palm. If the browning fronds are not the lower ones, you may be overwatering your palm. While they need to be watered regularly all year around, they grow less actively in the winter months and therefore won't need to be watered as frequently as you might water in the spring and summer months. Make sure your palm is getting as much natural light as possible, water only when the top inch of soil dries out, and be sure it is not experiencing a draft from a frequently opened outside door, a heater vent or from the fireplace. Hope this information is helpful!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"