When can I repair landscape? - Knowledgebase Question

Elmhurst, Il
Question by tramluu
December 29, 2010
Sewer work done in December (zone 5) - yard all ripped up & and muddy.
When can I re-grade yard?
Earliest I can put down sod?
heavy rains coming. how to stop soil from washing away. Anything I can put down now until i can re-sod? thanks.

December 29, 2010

0

Sounds like you have a real challenge ahead of you! The first order of business is to try to stop the soil erosion and this late in the season about your only option is with straw. Straw bales can stop major creeks and gullies; a thick layer of straw laid over the top of the soil will hold the soil in place all winter long. Depending upon how the yard is handling the water, and where the water is coming from, using either should help slow or stop the erosion.

You won't be able to work the soil until it dries out. This is usually in early spring. One way to check the soil's moisture content is by simply grabbing a handful and squeezing it. If water drips out, it's too wet to work. If it remains in a tight ball after you've squeezed it and you can't break it up with your finger, it's too wet to work. However, when you can take a handful of soil and no water comes out when you squeeze it, and if the soil ball breaks apart when you poke it with your finger, it's dry enough to work.

Once the soil is dry enough to work you can repair the area and lay your sod. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"