Jade Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, Pe
Question by pbparr1
December 30, 2010
My jade plant keeps dropping leaves. I have it in a window that gets the morning eastern sun. I water it thoroughly and let it dry out before watering again. The plant does not grow much from year to year.

December 30, 2010

0

Sounds like you're doing everything right but your plant isn't as happy as it could be. Jade plants grow into main-stem tree-like forms and it's natural for them to lose leaves and branches at the bottom of the plant, but it's unnatural for them to suddenly lose their leaves. It may be a reaction to being watered with cold, rather than tepid water, or to being overwatered. Because they're succulents, they can go for many weeks without water, without doing them harm. This is especially true in the wintertime when their growth is slow. Succulents have evolved in the dry areas of the world and their general requirements are related to this habitat - free draining soil, sunshine, fresh air, water during the growing season, and a cold and dry resting period in the winter. Jade plants like some early morning direct sunshine and they appreciate fresh air. If you have yours growing near a sunny windowsill, open the window in the summertime to promote the circulation of fresh air.

Your Jade plant might be happier outdoors for a time this summer. Find a place where it will get sunshine but with some protection from hot afternoon sun,and water it sparingly using tepid water. Once it gets the cultural conditions it craves, it should perk right up for you.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"