Regarding my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Honolulu, Ha
Question by nitaayag
My lawn is all brown, even after the rain. What could be wrong? I fertilized it last week of fall but now the lawn is almost all brown. What could have caused the grass to die.

0

Fertilizer burn can cause your lawn to turn brown within a week of application if you over-applied the fertilizer. If you followed the directions on the fertilizer package and did not over-feed, it may be that you are growing a warm season lawn such as bermuda, St. Augustine, zoysia, etc. These are the most commonly grown turfgrasses in your gardening region and they thrive when the weather is warm but go dormant when temperatures drop in the wintertime. If that's the type of turf you are growing, I suspect your lawn is simply resting during the cooler months of the year and will green up when temperatures warm up again. You can take a sample of your turf to your local cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis. Just dig a sample that includes roots and soil, place it in a plastic bag and visit your extension office (1955 East West Rd # 217, Honolulu, HI 96822-2348 phone (808) 956-7138). Helpful folks there can diagnose the problem and suggest remedies. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"