MOLES - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Hill, Fl
Question by reconvic
How do I get rid of moles. I have used the solar vibrators, plastic worm bait. Nothing Works.

0

Moles feed on grubs and earthworms living in your lawn or garden. Your first consideration should be to control the grub population in your lawn with beneficial nematodes or milky spore powder, both of which are spread on the lawn. Aside from that, trapping is the only sure way of eliminating a mole population. You need to find their main runs and set scissors-type traps, resetting as often as necessary to control the entire population. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you?ll reduce the population of the creatures.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"