amaryllis with bulblets - Knowledgebase Question

Minneapolis, Mi
Question by caretaker1wo
I have 8 year old bulbs and they have up to 5 offsets per bulb, should I separate them or repot them? And when?

0

You can separate the bulblets from the mother bulb when your amaryllis is dormant. The bulblets should be one third or one fourth the size of the mother bulb before being removed. After the foliage has ripened and you've cut it off, allow the bulb to rest for 4 or 5 weeks. Unpot the bulb and gently remove the bulblets from the mother, either by hand or using a sharp knife.

Plant each of the bulblets the same way you repot your original mother bulb, in a good, rich potting soil that drains well, with the tip of the bulblet protruding from the soil surface. Water the bulblets as you would the mother bulb, making sure you do not over-water. Follow the same method for the amaryllis resting period you do for the mother bulb.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"