trimming large gardenias - Knowledgebase Question

Cumming, Ge
Question by pcorrette
I have two gardenia shrubs which are about 5 feet tall and need to be trimmed down. They are begining to to lean over. Since they bloom off and on all summer, which to I trim them back?

0

Gardenias flower on the new growth of the season and since they grow all spring and summer long, they will continue to flower on the new growth that develops after you've trimmed your plants back. To avoid stressing your gardenias and exposing them to sunscald and other problems, plan on reducing their sizes in increments, never pruning off more than about one third of the plant at any one time. Wait until early spring to start pruning. Allow the plant to recover for 4-5 weeks after pruning, then prune more as needed. Pruning encourages new growth so you should see lots of new growth and lots of flowers throughout the growing season. Best wishes with your gardenia.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"