Can I grow poinsettias where I live? - Knowledgebase Question

Whitewater, Ca
Question by ptgeldorado
I live on the east facing foothills of the San Bernardino mountains along State highway 62 in the pass between Palm Springs, CA and the high desert. It is cool enough that the Alepo pine I bought last year for a christmas tree & planted is thriving, but the poinsettias died. is it possbile to grow them here outside or are the temperature antremes too much for them?

0

Your zip code places you in gardening zone 9B which should be warm enough in the winter for poinsettias to grow. However, your experience indicates there might be a microclimate within your garden. I'd try again. Find a spot that's protected from winter winds. If there's a sunny spot next to the foundation of your home, that might be ideal. Poinsettias require fast draining soils to prevent root rot so be sure to amend the soil with compost to help with drainage. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"