serrano pepper - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by kellytabah
Today I harvested the seeds from 2 red serrano plants from my garden and I have a few questions:
1. Do I need to dry them before I germinate/plant them? basically can I just plant them fresh like they are?
2. SHould i soak them overnight to soften them before I plant them?
3. I am in Zone 13 and would like to germinate/start them indoors...what is the most efficient/cheapest way to do this?

0

Your pepper seeds should be air dried on a paper towel. When they break when you try to fold them, they are dry. Once they reach this point you can plant them or store them in an airtight container for planting later in the season. They do not need to be soaked prior to planting. You can start your seeds indoors. You'll need trays or pots filled with moistened potting soil or seed starting mix. Sow the seeds just barely beneath the soil surface. Water often enough to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. When the seeds sprout they will need a source of artificial light. You can use gro-lights or fluorescent lights to provide the light. I use shop lights which are hooded units with chains. I use the chains to raise or lower the bank of lights as the plants grow, keeping the lights about two inches above the tops of the plants. Keep the lights on 12-14 hours each day. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"