care of lilly plant - Knowledgebase Question

Wolcott, Co
Question by dawn223
I received a lilly plant for christmas, blooms are dead now and i do not know how i need to store it for use in the spring? I live in CT so planting outside now is not an option.

0

The type of lily you have will dictate its care. Amaryllis is the most popular lily at Christmas time, followed by the Peace Lily. Amaryllis is generally planted only part way in the soil and typically has a red (but sometimes white) flower at the tip of the stem; Peace lilies has a tall stem with several flowers all along the stem. Peace lily makes a nice year 'round houseplant; Amaryllis does too, but it goes into dormancy for several weeks after the flower has faded. Until you figure out which kind of lily you have you can simply snip off the flowers as they fade and keep the plant in a bright but cool location. When an Amaryllis is ready to rest, the leaves will turn yellow. At that time withhold water and prune off the dead leaves when they shrivel up. Store the bulb in a cool, dark location. After it has rested for 6-8 weeks you can begin watering again. Best wishes with your lily.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"