madevilla, Pentalinon luteum winter care - Knowledgebase Question

pomona, Ca
Question by denisestarb
my madevilla is burning. according to the plant instructions it can handle 30 degrees F. And strangley it's been around 40 degrees where I live for the past month so it's burning the leaves. they are planted in the ground so should I trim them down and cover them with a paperbag or plastic bag? or do I need to replant it in a pot and bring it in?

0

You're correct - mandevilla can handle temperatures just above freezing (32F) but in the wintertime they can also suffer from windburn which can cause the leaves to shrivel up. I'd just leave them alone for now with the plan to prune them back in late February or early March when new growth begins. Next year you might try covering them overnight with an old sheet or a paperbag if the weather is predicted to be chilly. Don't use plastic on your plants, they may suffocate. And, if you cover your plant, do it in the early evening and remove the covering in the morning. Best wishes with your mandevilla.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"