Foxtail Palms - Knowledgebase Question

Cape Coral, Fl
Question by drdirocco
I have two foxtail palms-the last couple of winters have been cold in sw florida so the trees' palms are shredded and they are turning brown-and not doing well. Please advice. Thanks, Diane DiRocco

0

It may be that the palms are still recovering from the frosty weather. The growth bud is in the center of the plant, just beneath where the new fronds emerge. If it was damaged, you may not see new fronds until the plant sufficiently recovers. If it was killed back you won't see any new fronds at all. Leave the damaged fronds on the plant until they turn completely brown. At that time you can prune them off your palm. As the weather warms you should see new growth. I'd give it another four to six weeks to recover. If you still don't see any change, you may need to replace them with healthy new foxtail palms. Let's hope for the best!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"