Jade Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Everett, Ma
Question by makeready5
The Jade Plant was outside and it got frozen. Can it still grow back? Can I save the roots? This plant was nice! Joe

0

It may be possible to save your jade plant. Start by taking the plant indoors so it can recover in above-freezing temperatures. Keep it indoors for the rest of the winter. Next, prune away any frost damaged leaves and stems. They'll turn brown and mushy and will fall off anyway, but pruning them off will remove the dead plant parts and keep them from decaying and compromising the health of your plant. Remove the frost damaged plant parts by using pruning shears to make clean cuts just below the damaged stem. Cutting into healthy stem tissue will lower the chance of tearing the plant fibers. Until you see new growth sprouting, don't water your jade plant. Watering can lead to widespread rotting that may damage the remaining healthy trunk, stems and roots of your plant. Next spring you can take it back outdoors. I hope it recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"