dianthus - Knowledgebase Question

waianae, Ha
Question by jefjn4
i am pretty sure that I have an Allwood Pink Dianthus. This plant has only a few blooms and the other blooms have died and hardened quickly. I heard that these were hard to take care of. What tips do you have for caring for this plant? They are in pots. i water them daily and i have fertilized once with miracle grow

0

Dianthus isn't all the difficult to care for. They need sunshine, water when the top of the soil begins to dry out, and a feeding once in the spring. Since your plants are in pot, use a half strength dilution of a water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro or Peter's. When the flowers fade you can snip them off the plant, along with some of the stem. This will promote branching and the development of new flowers. The spent flowers that have turned hard probably contain seeds. If you carefully snip off the hardened seed pods when they're no longer green, you can collect the seeds and plant them elsewhere in your garden. Enjoy your dianthus!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"