New House Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by b_cathy
Greetings,
I just bought Snake Plant and a Yucca from Home Depot in gallon containers what size pots should I put them in. I'm I suppose to leave them in those black pots?

0

Your plants will indicate they need to be repotted when roots begin to escape from the drainage holes in the nursery pots. Since the black nursery pots are not terribly attractive, if you'd like to display your plants in decorative pots, you can certainly transplant them. Choose containers with lots of drainage holes and just slightly larger than the nursery pots. Use moistened potting soil cactus mix for replanting. Cactus mix has a large volume of sand, which will provide the right drainage for your yucca and snake plants. I usually place a layer of potting soil in the bottom of the new pot, set the nursery pot on top to see if I need to add more or remove some of the potting soil so that when the plant is planted into the pot it will sit about two inches below the rim of the pot. Once you've got the bottom layer the right thickness, unpot your plant, set it in the new container and fill in around the sides with moistened potting soil. When you're finished, be sure to water it well to help settle the soil. You can reuse the nursery pots for seed starting or transplanting perennial divisions or you can recycle them to gardening neighbors. Enjoy your new plants.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"