Regarding Majestic Palms - Knowledgebase Question

Aberdeen, Ma
Question by tann99_21
I just purchased a majestic palm,in about 2 days it started turning brown. I put some Dynamite fertilizer in it and then watered it as normal which is about once a week. Is that a sufficient amount of water cause I was told not to over water it, but I make sure that I put a good amount when watering it. Also, is tap water alone ok, or do I need to put liquid plant food into the water? Thanks

0

I think your new palm is going through an adjustment period. The growing conditions in the nursery were probably different than the growing conditions in your home so it will take several weeks for your palm to adjust. It's easy to overfeed a containerized plant so when you do feed, use only half the amount recommended on the label. Too much fertilizer can burn the roots which can turn the foliage brown. It's difficult to recommend a watering schedule. Plain tap water is fine. Most plants grow faster in the spring and summer months than they do in the fall and winter, so you'll need to water more often in the spring and summer - less in the fall and winter. I'd allow the top half inch of potting soil to dry out between waterings and when it is time to water, be sure to apply enough that excess water runs through the drainage holes. I usually set my plants in the kitchen sink or bathtub when I water so that any excess water has a place to drain. Be sure your plant is away from heater vents or frequently opened outside doors so it stays out of drafts. I think your plant will show improvement within the next few weeks, once it adjust to growing in your home. Hope you see improvement soon!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"