Cane Plant - Knowledgebase Question

hicksville, Ne
Question by oohlala4188
I hope this isn't stupid but I have a cane plant I water it when the dirt feels dry when I do water it the water comes out from the bottom how often should I water it and why is that happening also it looks like its getting some cuts or brusung across the leaves why

0

No question is stupid and I'm glad you stopped by! Your cane plant will need more water in the spring and summer months when it is growing and less in the fall and winter months when it isn't growing at quite the same rate. You're right in allowing the top of the soil to dry out between waterings and then applying enough water that it drains through the bottom of the pot. Sometimes plants in containers develop dry pockets and the water won't soak into the soil but will drain out a little too fast. To correct this all you need to do is place the plant in a large container of water and let it soak for 10-15 minutes or until no more bubbles rise to the surface. This will rewet the soil and remove the air pockets. After doing this, remove the pot from the container of water and allow the excess water to drain. I do this every 2-3 months with my containerized plants just to make sure the soil is adequately moistened each time I water. As for frequency of watering, allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings. Leaf damage can be caused by people or pets brushing up against the plant. This physical damage can take a few weeks to show up so you may have moved the plant several weeks ago or it may have been damaged by pets or children playing with the leaves. Hope this answers all your questions. Best wishes with your cane plant!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"