community gardening - Knowledgebase Question

baltimore, Ma
Question by trishandjoe
I have a 10'x15' garden space. What is the best way to utilize this space for vegetable gardening? I like the idea of using raised beds.

0

Raised beds are a terrific idea. The soil will drain well and will warm up faster in the spring so you can plant earlier in the season. You can simply import some topsoil to the gardening spot, level the top and rake the sides down in a slope. As the season progresses some of the soil will slip down the sides but you can rake it back up towards the top if that happens. Or, you can build a raised bed out of concrete blocks, bricks, lumber or stones and fill it with topsoil. Either way, make sure the soil is at least 24" deep to accommodate the roots of your plants and plan to situate your garden so it has all day sunshine. When planting, put your tallest crops on the side that gets the morning sun so they won't shade the rest of the crops during the afternoon. I hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"