plant lights - Knowledgebase Question

HOOVER, Al
Question by weinberg69
I am confused w/ the conflicting info I read. I currently have a screw- in bulb plant light. It puts out heat.I read that a fluorescent doesn't. True? Also, do I need a 'Plant light' or any bulb, fluorescent or otherwise?

0

Choosing lights can be confusing. You're right, incandescent lights put out too much heat and can burn the leaves of your plants. There are 'gro-light' types of bulbs but they can be expensive. I use fluorescent lights for supplemental light in the wintertime for my indoor plants. These are cool to the touch and be placed only 2-3 inches above the foliage of plants without concern about burning. There are both cool-white and warm-white fluorescent bulbs. I use one of each in a shoplight (hooded fixture) to give my plants the full-spectrum of light waves so they grow well. Shop lights come with chains for easy hanging. They aren't the most attractive of light fixtures but they sure do a good job of providing supplemental light. Hope this information helps you choose just the right lighting for your plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"