Safety of Pets - Knowledgebase Question

Lebanon, TN
Question by leahcliburn
I have several houseplants, under which I keep trays to collect the water overflow. I have three cats in the house which drink from the trays. By using a product such as Miracle-Gro? ALL-PURPOSE Plant Food or LIQUID Miracle-Gro? Houseplant Food Drops, will I be running a risk of making my cats ill?

0

The diluted fertilizer solution probably won't harm your cats, but I'd try to keep them from drinking it on a regular basis. Make sure they have fresh water available in several places in the house, and empty the excess water from the trays each time you water. When the cats figure out there's no water in the tray, they'll go to a source of fresh water instead. If you need the tray of water to provide additional humidity to your plants, fill the tray with decorative stones so that the water isn't so easily available, but it can still evaporate and provide humidity.