Getting rid of weeds - Knowledgebase Question

Eastpointe, Mi
Question by ak730
I have a huge space behind my garage that gets overgrown with weeds, chives, black-eyed susan's and rose bushes every year. I'm going to transplant the black-eyes susan's and chives, but want to kill off everything else. So far, nothing I've sprayed has worked. Is there anything stronger I can use? The space is about 6' x 35'. I eventually want to lay sod.

0

Wild onion (Allium amplectens) is difficult to eradicate because even if the tops are killed back, stored energy from the bulb allows new foliage to emerge. Herbicides available to homeowners are not very effective against wild onion and repeat applications must be made. If you want to try, cut the foliage from the plant and immediately paint the stubs with glyphosate (Round Up). This is a vegetation killer and will kill lawns and nearby plants if they are touched with the chemical so apply carefully. The only other sure way of getting rid of the weedy plant is to dig it up, bulb and all. Rose bushes have fairly compact root systems and you should be able to dig them out of the area. Start by pruning off all the stems, down to abot 8 inches above the soil level (use the stub as a handle to help you pull the plant out of the ground.)

Once you have the area cleared of all vegetation you can prepare the soil prior to planting by spreading several inches of compost over the site, rototill or dig it in, then level it and lay your sod. A thick lawn will help crowd out any future weeds. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"