Rhubarb - Knowledgebase Question

Wetumpka, Al
Question by hawk_sister7
People tell me that rhubarb will not grow in my area, Montgomery, Alabama. I found some being sold at Home Depot so how can I be successful in growing it? Does it require cold hours?

0

Rhubarb can be difficult to grow in Alabama because of your summer heat and humidity. You can certainly try, though. Find a spot in your garden that gets about 4 hours of morning sunshine but shade from hot afternoon sun. Sometimes planting in the shade of a deciduous tree is a good spot because the rhubarb will get late winter and early spring sunshine (when it is growing and is most productive) and then will receive shade when the tree leafs out by the early summer. Rhubarb likes rich, moist soil so be sure to work some compost or other organic matter into the planting bed. When the leaves and stems begin to wilt and die in the summertime, prune everything back to ground level so the roots will rest. You'll see new stems and leaves emerge from the crown of the plant in the late winter/early spring. Best wishes with your rhubarb!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"