Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Franklin, Te
Question by murillotn
We just aerated, fertilized and reseeded our yard with fescue in the fall and it finally grew, but some sort of clover also came with it. I need to fill in some bare spots in the spring, but wonder how to deal with the weeds. Should I weed and feed in the spring, wait a certain amount of time and then seed again, or what? The clover is alive even during this winter.

0

Clover is a difficult weed to control because the root system stores energy. Even if you kill the top of the plant, the roots often have enough reserve energy to resprout. Weed and Feed doesn't always control clover because it kills just the leafy tops but doesn't travel down to kill the roots. I have had good control with Ortho's Chickweed and Clover Control. Applied at the correct dilution, this product will not harm grass but will take care of clover. I'd control the clover now (since it's green and actively growing) and then this spring overseed the bare spots in the lawn. After you've mowed the new grass 2-3 times it will be established well enough to tolerate an application of weed and feed. With any chemical you decide to use on your lawn, be sure to apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"