Damaged leafs - Knowledgebase Question

brea, Ca
Question by ssaremi
I leave in Brea, CA and have three citrus trees (Orange, Sweet Lemon & Lemon) and all three trees have new grown crooked leafs. I believe they get adequate water, fertilizer and sun and every now and then I spray Malatayon on them as well. Can you help me with this. I have pictures, but, I do not know how to send them. Thanks

0

There are two common causes for citrus leaf curl. The most common is Leaf Miner damage ? This insect is the maggot of a tiny fly that lays eggs by making a little hole in the leaves. When the eggs hatch, the little larvae mine their way through the leaves causing them to cup and crinkle. Squiggly lines which are the tunnels they create can be seen in the affected leaves. This insect is not harmful to the health or fruit production of established trees. Young citrus trees may benefit from sprays of horticulture oil which interfere with the fly's ability to lay eggs into the leaf. Spray each time a new flush of growth appears. Read the label of oil product carefully, as horticulture oil can burn the leaves when applied incorrectly. The second most common cause is aphid damage. These pests have needle-like mouthparts which pierce the leaves and feed on the plant sap. They always feed on the newest, most tender growth. As these leaves mature, they exhibit the damage, but by then the aphids are long-gone. Aphid damage is mostly aesthetic and won't harm your trees. Try inspecting your trees every few days for insects. If you find aphids you can control them with a strong spray of water from the hose or with insecticidal soap. Best wishes with your citrus trees.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"