Indoor herbs - Knowledgebase Question

plano, Te
Question by serenekoshy
hey there! I had a question about what kind of herbs I can grow indoors under a plant light bulb! I always start cooking and realize I need to run out to get my herbs.. so i finally decided i should try my hand at indoor herbs as well and the fresh fragrance would be a boon too...I'd greatly appreciate any help.
P.S- My windows are facing an enclosed patio and hence no source of sunlight either:(

0

I agree, there's nothing quite as tasty as freshly snipped herbs! Herbs grown indoors need plenty of bright light or sunlight, either from a south-facing window or a grow light, and soil that drains very well. It sounds as though you've already got the lighting requirements covered with your plant light. Many herbs are native to the Mediterranean area, so think about recreating those conditions for you plants. Some herbs that normally do well indoors are basil, parsley, and cilantro (all these need slightly more moist soil); and thyme, oregano, and rosemary (these don't mind if the soil dries out a little). Fertilize once a month with a standard houseplant fertilizer. Once the plants are growing vigorously, start harvesting the leaves and pinch back the stems regularly to keep the plants from getting too rangey. I like to give each plant a quarter-turn each time I water them so they don't lean towards the light and become lopsided. Enjoy your herbs!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"