beautiful winter leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Oxford, Ge
Question by robyn150
Now when trees have lost their leaves, there is one tree that is abundant in wooded areas and still have their leaves which are about the color of a brown paper bag. I saw an article once and believe that they are either birch or beech. Can you tell me? I took pictures of several today and want to give them the correct caption. thank you. robyn

0

It's really difficult to identify a tree without seeing it. Many trees retain their leaves over the winter months and what you describe sounds more like a pin oak than a birch or beech tree. To complicate matters, several varieties of birch are native to Georgia and that may be what you are seeing after all. You can collect some of the leaves and take them to your local cooperative extension office, Master Gardener Clinic, or well staffed nursery for help with identification, or you can do a web search on pin oak and birch and beech trees to see if you can match the leaf shapes to close-up photos you may find on the web. Hope you find the name of the tree!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"