Christmas cactus - Knowledgebase Question

Sloansville, Ne
Question by plstory
I have 5 very large cactus. 2 of them are turning red, the leaves look a little limp on one but otherwise are both healthy. They flowered nicely for the Christmas holiday. Any ideas. Thanks, Pam

0

A pink or purple coloration on Christmas cactus leaves maybe be too much sun on the plant or a phosphorous deficiency. Christmas cactuses like bright, but filtered light. Direct sun, especially afternoon sun, can turn the leaves a reddish purple. If you don't think direct sunshine is the cause, your plants may simply need to be fed. I like using Osmocote, a time release fertilizer. The pellets are sprinkled in the pot and every time you water, fertilizer is automatically released. It should be available in your local Home Depot garden center. Best wishes with your plants.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"